Monday 28 April 2014


Humiliating experience at Malabar Gold, Trivandrum!!


Last Saturday evening, I went to Malabar Gold, for the first time, to buy a wedding gift for a close family friend's son. The first question the so called customer relations manager asked on seeing me was "did you come to buy or sell?". I was shocked. I asked her if that was the standard question they asked everyone and whether many women coming alone go there to sell gold than buy. I identified myself as a cop and she agreed to help me buy a ring or a pendent as gift. After seating me at a chair, she left, I thought, to get someone to help me.
Then a young sales man came and asked me what I wanted. I repeated my requirement. He responded- " Are you alone? Did you come alone?" In malayalam, the question ""Ottakkano vannathu?"" sounded quite rude. I got up from the chair and asked if they do not sell gold to women who go there alone. He smiled and again asked, ""Alla, ottakke ollo, atho aareyengilum kaathu irikkuvaano enna chodichathu""
Does it sound like gender discrimination? It did, to me. Apparently, that guy is anti-woman & the shop in general is not customer friendly. Not many people were there too. Result? I walked out, went to Josco and purchased the gift!
I called the Director of that shop, Mr. Yasser, who once came to my house and invited me to the shop at the time of its opening. He did not even apologize after I told him about the incident! He just said, it is surprising that it happened, as if I cooked up the story!
I just shared this experience to warn my dear lady friends and relatives of the fairer sex not to go to Malabar Gold alone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment