Tuesday 1 March 2016

The Chevening Experience Part 2


The Chevening Experience- Part 2



Scottish Highlads


I studied English Language and Literature and still love the plays of Shakespeare. My favorite poets are the romantic poet trio- Wordsworth, Keats and Shelley. Even from those days, my greatest wish was to go to England and walk through the places where these great writers have lived and created treasure-trove in words. I mentioned in my earlier post that I attended the compulsory mid-career training program in 2012, but it was just for a week. With classes in the London Business School and Metropolitan Police of London (Erstwhile Scotland Yard), I hardly got time to roam around the place that time. So, the Chevening Fellowship was a dream come true for me with three full months to go around all the places I wanted to see and experience the varied culture and beauty of the great historic place.

During the first few days, I walked around the area and experimented on the different routes to get to Kings College from our place of residence. It was great fun. We went in groups. The first day's walk was long since we took the south side Thames bridge. From the second day onward we found a path that takes just 25 minutes to reach the campus.  

The classes started with the National Health Scheme of UK. I asked one of the doctor who came to take one class why antibiotics are not available in the pharmacies in London and he replied that use of antibiotics is banned in the country! I asked "then how was I supposed to cure my bad cold and cough?" He replied "Oh, it will vanish in a week. It will go away even if you take or don't take antibiotics" He was very positive about it, so I trusted him and took some cold medicines which I had carried with me. Within a week, my cold vanished as the London Doctor promised and it never came back as long as I stayed there though I walked around in the rains, in extreme coldness with no proper woolens and also under the direct beams of the sun. 

The classes were not one person talking all the time, they were lively and interesting with slide shows, movies and Q&A sessions. We were taken for field visits too every week. The College gave us an Oyster card using which we could take trips in the trains, buses and even boats! The Chevening Secretariat had sent us a cash card with 3000 pounds in it which we merrily used for purchases and personal trips. I had carried some money with me and my brother in London gave me some when he dropped me from the Airport to my room.

Flower clock
One of the many recliners on the roads in Geneva

To my surprise I found out that almost every other day there were wine and official dinner in the evenings too. Some of the days, they provided us lunch in the class room, which I tremendously enjoyed.  During the first weekend itself I went with Sapna to Bournville and thoroughly enjoyed visiting the Cadbury World. Then I went to my cousin Mini's house in Birmingham and stayed there for two days. Mini and Chandramohan chettan took us to Stratford upon Avon, Cotswold and the first Iron Bridge- an architectural marvel! We also went to a philharmonic orchestra with over 100 musicians playing over 30 types of musical instruments- a simply amazing experience.

After two weeks of classes and field visits including visit to the House of Commons and House of Lords in London, we went to Scotland. The inputs about Referendum, Devolution of powers and laws on LBGT at Edinburgh University were enjoyable. I got a blue sweater from the University Store which I used lavishly during my stay there. I took a long walk in the university campus with another room mate of mine, Neha Pahuja and missed a bit of afternoon session since we got lost on our way back! One day we went to the Scottish parliament and heard the First Minister Ms Nicola Sturgeon, a very smart lady answer the questions from the opposition!Another great experience!

That weekend we proceeded as a group to Scottish High lands and a place called Isle of Skies! I put my foot down when the leader of the team refused to take us to Loch Ness, which is fabled for the presence of sea monster Nessie and insisted we should go there. Being a senior person and a police officer, the others buckled and we went there too. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire trip.

Back in London, another week of classes on finance started. We learned all about bit-coins and the latest financial innovations and use of technology in the world of money. A visit to the Metal Exchange in London was interesting and from the gallery we saw the heated trading of metals and the flurry of activities where over 50 people crowded around a table. All around the room were telephone exchanges manned by another set of people shouting the deals offered. During that week, there were heavy rains. I had carried an umbrella from home, it was a light weight poppy umbrella which could be folded three times to make it pocket size. It was a gift from Baby Uncle, owner of Poppy umbrellas and had a lovely purple colour. On my way back from class, I put it open at the reception of Moonraker Point and went to have a cup of coffee thinking I will take it back to the room after drinking the coffee. But when I came back to the reception, this umbrella was gone. I inquired at the reception and the girl there said "Oh, someone must have taken it. it is still raining. They will give it back, don't worry. Please check up at the reception tomorrow." I kept checking a few times, but I never got it back. It was so sad that someone should take another's umbrella even in London! 

Next week was our much awaited trip to Geneva. While packing for the trip and counting the Euros I carried with me, I found a shortage of 50 Euro note. Panicking, I searched the entire room and found it gone from my locked suitcase. Then I counted my pounds and found 400 pounds too missing! I got a huge shock! My money was stolen! 

The tourist tram

Throughout that night I counted and recounted the money against the expenses I have spent in London and got convinced that 400 pounds and 50 Euros were stolen from my room from someone. First I called the help line number of Moonraker Point, my accommodation. No response. Then I mailed to them. I also complained to the Chevening Secretariat and to Police in the early morning next day. From the police station I got a call within an hour to confirm whether I sent the complaint. They were very efficient and cordial. I also got a call from a victim relief person consoling me that I should not be upset and everything will be fine. That evening, the police visited my room and took my statement and photographs of the room. They told me that it will be difficult to recover stolen cash and they will enquire into the matter. I got several calls from them when I was in Geneva and later in Paris. Pacified by the Police, I proceeded to Geneva and had a great week there. I went two days ahead of the Monday when we were officially booked in Ibis hotel. I got a room at Nash hotel near the airport for 2 nights for which I spent my own money. 

I opted to stay alone and explore since Geneva for two days since my experience last time of moving along with the crowd restricted my freedom. So, I hopped into a bus, talking half German, half English to the French speaking people there. Ultimately I managed to reach the City Center where I alighted and walked through the shopping malls and streets for hours. I also saw the English Garden where there is a flower clock which keeps up the perfect time!

Late in the evening, I got into a tram, yes a tram, and got back to the hotel after losing my way a couple of times. It was an adventurous solo trip. I also spent money for unwanted beauty products. But the walk at the city center and by the side of Le Mirador lake, locally called Lac Leman and the sight of the huge water jet fountain were enthralling. The next day I visited the house of a Malayali family there who took control of the rest of my days in Geneva. Manoj, Sindhu and their two cute kids went out of the way to take care of me!

From Monday onward, I shifted to Hotel Ibis where official stay was arranged for the fourteen of us and we went for classes, discussions and field visits to WTO, UNHRD and WHO. A friend came all the way from Zurich to take me for dinner one of these days! Thanks to Joy and Kunjamma for another enjoyable evening! I also had dinner with Appu and Aditi, both working in UN and a long beautiful walk through the old city another evening. 

The beautiful places I visited from Geneva are Mont Blanc andChamonix, both in French Alps. I also visited a village called Annecy. With friends I roamed around again through all these streets and took a boat ride right up to the fountain. On that weekend, some of us proceeded to Paris by train so that we could stay two extra nights there in our personal capacity. The trip by Euro rail was enchanting and we reached Paris in the late evening.

 

Please see my next blog for more Chevening Experiences.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment